Friday, May 5, 2017



Honor and a Good Name
Honour among men:

Psa.40:4 Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

(Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.)

Prv.22:1 A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.

Ecc.7:1 A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth.


Honor: 1a :  good name or public esteem :  reputation  b :  a showing of usually merited respect :  recognition <pay honor to our founder>  one whose worth brings respect or fame

honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: high respect, as for worth, merit, or rank: Great privilege:

to hold in or treat with honor or high respect; revere: To confer distinction on. A mark, token, or gesture of respect or distinction,

  Honor is like money, it is earned and not demanded. But you earn honor from God by investing in humility. You can give your honor to others and you can lose it through pride. Also like money its value 'under the sun' is subjectively determined- this world will not value an honorable name. What is highly esteemed among men is an abomination before God (Lk.16:15). If you behave contemptibly don't demand or expect honor. Rather humble yourself as the prodigal son (Lk.15:18-9) and let God exalt you in due time. We should prize a good name and not despise it.

Gen.34:19 …he was more honourable than all the house of his father

49:6 O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united:

Ex.20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Lev. 19:32 Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the Lord.

Num.22:17 I will promote thee unto very great honour

27:20 And thou shalt put some of thine honour upon him, that all the congregation of the children of Israel may be obedient.

Deut. 26:19 And to make thee high above all nations which he hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honour; and that thou mayest be an holy people unto the Lord thy God, as he hath spoken.

1 Sam.2:29-30 Wherefore kick ye at my sacrifice and at mine offering, which I have commanded in my habitation; and honourest thy sons above me, to make yourselves fat with the chiefest of all the offerings of Israel my people? Wherefore the Lord God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me for ever: but now the Lord saith, Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.

15:30 Then he said, I have sinned: yet honour me now, I pray thee, before the elders of my people, and before Israel, and turn again with me, that I may worship the Lord thy God.

2 Sam.6:22 And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour.

2 Chr.26:18 …go out of the sanctuary; for thou hast trespassed; neither shall it be for thine honour from the Lord God.

Est.6:9 And let this apparel and horse be delivered to the hand of one of the king's most noble princes, that they may array the man withal whom the king delighteth to honour, and bring him on horseback through the street of the city, and proclaim before him, Thus shall it be done to the man whom the king delighteth to honour.

Psa.8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

21:5 His glory is great in thy salvation: honour and majesty hast thou laid upon him.

49:12 Nevertheless man being in honour abideth not: he is like the beasts that perish.

112:9 He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor; his righteousness endureth for ever; his horn shall be exalted with honour.

Prv.3:16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour. (v13 wisdom)

4:8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her. (v7 wisdom)

5:9 Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel:

8:18 Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness. (v12 wisdom)

11:16 A gracious woman retaineth honour:

12:9 …he that honoureth himself

13:18 Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured.

14:28 In the multitude of people is the king's honour: but in the want of people is the destruction of the prince.

15:33 The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

18:12 Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is humility.

20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

21:21 He that followeth after righteousness and mercy findeth life, righteousness, and honour.

22:24 By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honour, and life.

25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

26:1 As snow in summer, and as rain in harvest, so honour is not seemly for a fool. V8 As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honour to a fool.

27:18 Whoso keepeth the fig tree shall eat the fruit thereof: so he that waiteth on his master shall be honoured.

29:23 A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.

31:25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Eccl. 10:1 Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour: so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour.

Isa. 3:5 And the people shall be oppressed, every one by another, and every one by his neighbour: the child shall behave himself proudly against the ancient, and the base against the honourable.

9:15 The ancient and honourable, he is the head;

29:13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

42:21 The Lord is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

43:23 Thou hast not brought me the small cattle of thy burnt offerings; neither hast thou honoured me with thy sacrifices.

58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Lam. 5:12 the faces of elders were not honoured. –4:16 The anger of the Lord hath divided them; he will no more regard them: they respected not the persons of the priests, they favoured not the elders.

Dan.4:36 At the same time my reason returned unto me; and for the glory of my kingdom, mine honour and brightness returned unto me; and my counsellors and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom, and excellent majesty was added unto me.

Mal.1:6 A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master: if then I be a father, where is mine honour? and if I be a master, where is my fear? saith the Lord of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise my name. And ye say, Wherein have we despised thy name? v7 Ye offer polluted bread upon mine altar; and ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee? In that ye say, The table of the Lord is contemptible. v8 And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil? and if ye offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? offer it now unto thy governor; will he be pleased with thee, or accept thy person? saith the Lord of hosts.

Matt. 13:57A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.




Mk. 7:9-11
And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition . For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death: But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
 
 
 
 
Lk.14:8 When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than
thou be bidden of him ; 9 And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jn.5:41 I receive not honour from men. (Job 32:31-2  Let me not, I pray you, accept any man's person, neither let me give flattering titles unto man. For I know not to give flattering titles; in so doing my maker would soon take me away.)

5:44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?

8:49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me. v54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:

12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Acts 28:10 Who also honoured us with many honours; and when we departed, they laded us with such things as were necessary.

Rom.12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

1 Cor.4:10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.

12:23-4 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked. v26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

1 Thess.4:4, 5 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour; Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:

1 Tim.5:3 Honour widows that are widows indeed. V17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

1 Tim.6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

2 Tim.2:20-1 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Heb.2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:

5:4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.

13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

1 Pt.2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.


Esteem:

Prv.17:28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Isa.53:3 …he was despised, and we esteemed him not. (Psa.22:6 … a reproach of men, and despised of the people.)

Lam.4:2 The precious sons of Zion, comparable to fine gold, how are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of the potter!

LK.16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

1 Cor.6:4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.

Phil.2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

1 Thes. 5:13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.


Dishonor, Reproach:

1 Cor.11:4-5 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

Rom.1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Psa.39:8 Deliver me from all my transgressions: make me not the reproach of the foolish.

42:10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?

69:19-20 Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before thee. Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none.

Prv.14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.

18:3 When the wicked cometh, then cometh also contempt, and with ignominy reproach.

22:10 Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.

Zeph.2:10 This shall they have for their pride, because they have reproached and magnified themselves against the people of the Lord of hosts.


Despised:

1 Sam.2:30 … them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.

10:27 But the children of Belial said, How shall this man save us? And they despised him, and brought no presents. But he held his peace.

2 Sam.12:9 Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in his sight?...

Neh.2:19 … they laughed us to scorn, and despised us, and said, What is this thing that ye do? will ye rebel against the king?

Job 19:18 Yea, young children despised me; I arose, and they spake against me.

Mal.3:13-14 Your words have been stout against me, saith the Lord. Yet ye say, What have we spoken so much against thee? Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the Lord of hosts?

Acts 13:45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.

Num.21:5 And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness?...

Psa.78:19 Yea, they spake against God; they said, Can God furnish a table in the wilderness?

Lk.22:65 And many other things blasphemously spake they against him.

Psa.22:6 …a reproach of men, and despised of the people

Prv.23:9 Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words.

Jer. 13:17 But if ye will not hear it, my soul shall weep in secret places for your pride...

Prv.30:17 despiseth to obey his mother

Ecc.9:16 Then said I, Wisdom is better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom is despised, and his words are not heard.

Ezk.20:16 … Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes

22:8 Thou hast despised mine holy things, and hast profaned my sabbaths. V26 Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Psa.89:39 Thou hast made void the covenant of thy servant: thou hast profaned his crown by casting it to the ground.

31:18 …which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.

123:4 Our soul is exceedingly filled with the scorning of those that are at ease, and with the contempt of the proud.

Ezk.26:18 …I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God

Isa.23:9 The Lord of hosts hath purposed it, to stain the pride of all glory, and to bring into contempt all the honourable of the earth.

Ob.2 Behold, I have made thee small among the heathen: thou art greatly despised.

Mt.6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other…

2 Pt.2:10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.


Worthy:

(1 Tim.5:17…worthy of double honour v18 …The labourer is worthy of his reward, 6:1 …worthy of all honour)

I Ki. 1:52 And Solomon said, If he will shew himself a worthy man, there shall not an hair of him fall to the earth: but if wickedness shall be found in him, he shall die.

Matt.3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

8:8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof:


10:10-12 …for the workman is worthy of his meat. And into whatsoever city or town ye shall enter, enquire who in it is worthy; and there abide till ye go thence. And when ye come into an house, salute it. And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. (see 1 Sam. 25:5-14)

(salute/greet, Hail:  3 Jn.14 But I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to face. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Greet the friends by name. Mk.15:18 …began to salute him, Hail,

 to give a sign of respect to (a military officer, flag, etc.) by moving your right hand to your forehead : to give a salute to (someone or something)

: to show respect for (someone or something) : to publicly praise (someone or something) to address with expressions of kind wishes, courtesy, or honor; to give a sign of respect, courtesy, or goodwill to) – In contrast to 2 Ki.3:14 And Elisha said, As the Lord of hosts liveth, before whom I stand, surely, were it not that I regard the presence of Jehoshaphat the king of Judah, I would not look toward thee, nor see thee.


Lk.7:4-5 And when they came to Jesus, they besought him instantly, saying, That he was worthy for whom he should do this: For he loveth our nation, and he hath built us a synagogue.

15:18-19 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

Acts 5:41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

Heb.11:37-8 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.


Commend:

Prov.12:8 A man shall be commended according to his wisdom: but he that is of a perverse heart shall be despised.

Lk.16:8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely:

Rom.16:1-2 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.

2 Cor.3:1 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?

4:2 …by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. V18 For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth.

2 Cor.12:11 I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.



Shame:

Ex.32:25 And when Moses saw that the people were naked; (for Aaron had made them naked unto their shame among their enemies:)

1 Sam. 20:34 So Jonathan arose from the table in fierce anger, and did eat no meat the second day of the month: for he was grieved for David, because his father had done him shame.

2 Sam.19:5 And Joab came into the house to the king, and said, Thou hast shamed this day the faces of all thy servants, which this day have saved thy life, and the lives of thy sons and of thy daughters, and the lives of thy wives, and the lives of thy concubines;

Job 8:22 They that hate thee shall be clothed with shame; and the dwelling place of the wicked shall come to nought.

Psa.4:2 O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah.

35:26 Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.

69:7 Because for thy sake I have borne reproach; shame hath covered my face. V19 Thou hast known my reproach, and my, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before thee.

109:29 Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame, and let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle.

132:18 His enemies will I clothe with shame: but upon himself shall his crown flourish.

Prv.3:35 The wise shall inherit glory: but shame shall be the promotion of fools.

9:7 He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.

14:35 The king's favour is toward a wise servant: but his wrath is against him that causeth shame.

18:13 He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.

19:26 He that wasteth his father, and chaseth away his mother, is a son that causeth shame, and bringeth reproach.

25:10 Lest he that heareth it put thee to shame, and thine infamy turn not away.

Isa.47:3 Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen:

50:6 I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

Ezk.34:29 And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more.

Hos.4:7 As they were increased, so they sinned against me: therefore will I change their glory into shame.

Lk.14:9 And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.


Contempt:





Est.1:17-8  For this deed of the queen shall come abroad unto all women, so that they shall despise their husbands in their eyes, when it shall be reported, The king Ahasuerus commanded Vashti the queen to be brought in before him, but she came not.  Likewise shall the ladies of Persia and Media say this day unto all the king's princes, which have heard of the deed of the queen. Thus shall there arise too much contempt and wrath.
 
Job 12:21 He poureth contempt upon princes, and weakeneth the strength of the mighty.

Ps.107:40 He poureth contempt upon princes, and causeth them to wander in the wilderness, where there is no way.

119:22 Remove from me reproach and contempt; for I have kept thy testimonies.

123:4 Our soul is exceedingly filled with the scorning of those that are at ease, and with the contempt of the proud.

Prv.18:3 When the wicked cometh, then cometh also contempt, and with ignominy reproach.

Isa.23:9 The Lord of hosts hath purposed it, to stain the pride of all glory, and to bring into contempt all the honourable of the earth.

Dan.12:2 …some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Mal.1:7-8  Ye offer polluted bread upon mine altar; and ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee? In that ye say, The table of the Lord is contemptible. And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil? and if ye offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? offer it now unto thy governor; will he be pleased with thee, or accept thy person? saith the Lord of hosts.











No comments:

Post a Comment